view cancellation policy
Culture shock rating:
Ethnic Neighborhoods Food & CultureGeneral Info | Photo Gallery | Traveller Feedback
Uncover the astounding mix of nationalities that make up the City of Angels on this Los Angeles food tour that reveals hole-in-the-wall eateries, markets, snack shops, and the fine art of riding the metro. Who said you need a car in LA?
- Taste sweet and savory foods from Koreatown, Little Armenia and Thai Town
- Experience the culture and learn the history of these diverse neighborhoods
- Admire ornate historic architecture and get a glimpse of the Hollywood Sign
- Take part in real East Hollywood life with a ride on a local bus
Tour style:Food/Cuisine/Market Visits; Heritage & History; Walking/Orientation
Select sweet and savory tastings (vegetarian options available with advance notice upon booking); Some drinks (non-alcoholic) and water; Public transportation fare from Koreatown to Little Armenia; English speaking local guide
Notes: Please indicate vegetarian preferences or any dietary restrictions upon booking. We will do our best to accommodate them although we cannot guarantee an alternative option at each stop.
Additional food and drink items, return transportation to start point, tips / gratuities for your guide
Group size:Maximum 12
- Duration: 3.5 to 4 hours
- Meeting point:
3355 Wilshire Blvd. (in front of the Gaylord Apartments). Metro Red Line stop Wilshire/Vermont. Local bus lines 720, 20, 206, 204. Please seewww.metro.net for more information on how to arrive by public transportation. Parking available on Catalina between Wilshire and 7th St. or on residential streets near drop off location (Hollywood and Western Metro Station).
- Starting time: 2.00 PM
- Ending point:
5450 Hollywood Blvd. at the Hollywood/Western metro station. Please note this tour finishes several miles from the start point, upon which most guests ride the Metro Red Line four stops back to Wilshire/Vermont. (Fare is $1.50 one way plus $1 reusable Metro TAP Card.) Other options are taxi or bus.
Additional information :
- Voucher exchange details:
Please present your voucher to the local guide at the beginning of the tour.
- Confirmation of booking:
If you have your voucher, your booking is confirmed. We'll see you at the start point.
Get in touch if you have any concerns or require more information via the email address or phone number (business hours only) on your voucher.
- Additional information:
We believe in sustainable travel. Please bring a refillable bottle for water and remember to keep hydrated, especially during hot days. A reusable bag is also recommended to carry any purchases and reduce plastic bag waste.
- Dress standard:
As we will walk about 3 miles total, please wear comfortable walking shoes. Comfortable clothing, sunscreen, sunhat, and sunglasses are recommended. A warm layer may be necessary as evenings can be cool October through June.
- Child policy:
This is a child-friendly tour. Children between the ages of 6 and 11 inclusively are permitted on this tour. Children younger than 6 are permitted at no extra cost, but please make sure you inform our guides of this before you take the tour.
- Language: English
On this LA tour, you’ll venture off the beaten path into some of Los Angeles most ethnic enclaves, where locals live as though they’ve never left home. Signs in foreign languages, traditional snack shops, and ethnic markets line these neighborhood streets, making each visit an epic adventure you won't be forgetting in a hurry!
To kick off this LA food tour, you'll learn how these enclaves came about, what makes them unique, and where to find some of the city’s best and most hidden ethnic cuisine. We’ll enjoy unique and delicious tastings in markets, restaurants, bakeries, and hole-in-the-wall eateries, making sure to include a variety of both sweet and savory ethnic LA food. As we walk and ride the metro through the neighborhoods, you’ll get to observe life in some of LA’s most vibrant areas, highlighting traditional homes, architecture, and cultural hotspots.
From Robert F. Kennedy’s assassination site to Korean karaoke bars, and Thai spirit houses, this cultural Los Angeles tour introduces you to the city’s lesser-known and off-beat sectors, where you’re sure to discover many treasures and discover a different side to this legedary city.
During the course of this LA food tour we’ll enjoy enough food for a whole meal, so please come with an appetite!
Want to check out what other travellers think of their Urban Adventure experience? See below for our traveller feedback.
- Your overall experience ...................................................................................... 4.86
- Your guide’s enthusiasm, local knowledge and communication skills........................................................................................................................ 4.93
The level of opportunity to learn more about the culture, interact
with locals, and experience their way of life......................................................4.79
The Responsible Travel philosophy implemented on your
Urban Adventure................................................................................................... 4.79
- Did the trip match your expectations?.............................................................. 4.86
Ms. Mary H.
USA ~ 02 Dec 2014[back to top]
Everyone was so friendly! Sabrina our guide-excellent!
Our Tour group was great too! Would recommend.
Ms. Kari M.
USA ~ 26 Nov 2014[back to top]
Summer was very knowledgable and fun!
Ms. Emily C.
USA ~ 23 Sep 2014[back to top]
Summer was so knowledgable and super sweet. We will definitely do a tour with her again!
Mr. Donald W.
USA ~ 22 Sep 2014[back to top]
A lot of fun and good exposure to a part of town we were not familiar with.
Ms. Trisha D.
USA ~ 17 Sep 2014[back to top]
Add additional information regarding the two parking lots next to gaylord apartments. Had trouble locating it and was late for tour.
Ms. Deborah F.
Australia ~ 30 Jul 2014[back to top]
Summer was terrific as a guide. i had a great afternoon with lots of fun and new experiences
USA ~ 21 Aug 2013[back to top]
We thoroughly enjoyed our tour. The only comment we
would offer is that it was a bit too long. We would
have deleted the last two stops. We were all pretty tired by then and certainly stuffed! But very generous to give us so much for such a small fee. We live here so we now have all these great new places to go! We will definitely do more!
Ms. Cynthia R.
~ 11 Aug 2013[back to top]
This was a birthday surprise. We have never done this before and we enjoyed it. Summer was our guide and she was awesome. I liked all of the history that Summer gave us along our tour. She gave us info on the city, the cultures that we were experiencing, and a little background on the owners of the restaurants we visited. We even got to meet a few of the owners. We booked the Ethnic Neighborhoods. I couldn't wait to tell my friends and family about this surprise. I even told a salesperson at Sports Chalet about it. I gave her the website to look at. Thank you Summer!!!!
Ms. Kathie K.
~ 26 Jul 2013[back to top]
Summer was an excellent tour guide. She effortlessly led us around the city and knew a great deal about the areas we were visiting. Although we never felt rushed, she finished exactly when she was supposed to. We were very impressed with the whole tour.
I saw this tour on Groupon and it looked like fun, so I invited three of my friends to go. We'd do it again in a heartbeat!
Ms. Laurie L.
USA ~ 24 Jul 2013[back to top]
A really interesting and informative tour, not to mention all the wonderful food-sampling. It was more food than expected and the restaurants were all very clean and nice.
Ms. Lenore D.
USA ~ 05 Jun 2013[back to top]
I had another great tour with Summer!! She was very entertaining, knowledgeable and answered all of our questions. We laughed and had a great time! The best part of the tour was eating spicy Thai soup, so incredible! I would love to go on another tour with Summer!
Mrs. Tonya V.
~ 29 May 2013[back to top]
Had a great time and found some hidden treasures that I never knew existed in Los Angeles after having lived here 15 years! Going back to one of the Thai restaurants tomorrow for lunch and can't wait! The tour guide was super knowledgeable and a joy to experience Los Angeles with.
For your Urban Adventure you will be in a small group of a maximum of 12 people.
Please indicate vegetarian preferences or any dietary restrictions upon booking (in the 'additional information' box at checkout). We will do our best to accommodate them, although we cannot guarantee an alternative option at each stop.
If you are happy with the services provided by your local guides, a tip - though not compulsory - is appropriate. While it may not be customary to you, it is of great significance to the people who will take care of you during your travels, inspires excellent service, and is an entrenched feature of the tourism industry across many Intrepid Urban Adventures destinations. Please consider this when budgeting for your extra expenses on this tour.
- Cancellations made more than 2 days prior to travel receive a full refund
- Cancellations made 2 days or less prior to travel attract a 100% cancellation fee.
We are a multicultural team comprised of locals who live right in the heart of the city. As diverse as the city itself, we want to show you what makes L.A. more than an "urban jungle" and treat you to a local experience you'll never forget!
Our tours are also perfect for:
--Red Hat Society Events
--Entertaining Out-of-Town Guests
Feels like: 17°C
Sign up now and get $10 off your next tour!
At Urban Adventures, we firmly believe local travel is one of the best ways we can support responsible tourism. In fact, we believe it so strongly that we’ve made it our entire business! All our tours are run by local experts, not some faceless corporate team located halfway around the world with no sense of the local vibe.
We craft our tours to ensure every traveller has authentic interactions with local people, businesses, transportation, and food and drink. Local travel gives you the opportunity to experience a destination as locals do, and has the potential to impact you in ways you never imagined. In short: local is awesome.
As a responsible travel company, we promise to:
- Use locally owned infrastructure on our tours whenever possible.
- Spread the financial benefits amongst local people and operators.
- Provide employment and leadership opportunities for local people.
- Respect local customs and culture.
- Provide safe tours for Urban Adventure partners, staff, and travellers.
- Educate travellers and our partners about how and why we choose to travel this way.
- Limit any negative impact to the daily lifestyles of local people.
- Limit any physical impact on natural and cultural environments.
- Provide support to organisations and local communities.
- Provide opportunities for travellers to interact with local people.
- Actively ban partners, staff, and passenger participation in or endorsement of commercial sexual activities or illegal drug use on Urban Adventures tours.
- Work to prevent the exploitation of children in tourism.
- Actively discourage participation in activities that exploit animals.
- Use local partners that adhere to Urban Adventures' responsible travel principles.
- Support and encourage fair employment practices.
- Give our travellers the best possible value.
- Have fun!
As a traveller, we ask that you keep the following in mind:
- People: Be mindful of the local citizens, and seek understanding through shared experiences. Consider their customs and values while in their homeland, and when in doubt, ask your guide for advice.
- Environment: Be mindful of the local environment, and act with conservation and sustainability in mind. Follow local guidelines, as recommended by your guide, and make proactive decisions on your own.
- Culture: When travelling to other cultures, remember that not everyone's customs are the same as yours at home. Be respectful, and be mindful of openly questioning a customary practice, even if you disagree with it. Try to understand from their perspective. You may learn something! Your guide will be an excellent point of reference here, so check with them if you're unsure.
- Economy: Make every effort to use local businesses and put your tourism dollars in the right (local) pocket. We use local vendors and businesses, and your guide will be able to advise you on the best ways to support the local economy.